A Survivor’s Message of Hope

A Message for Others from Bruce Richardson

“You never know when you have heart disease. One of the first symptoms of heart disease is death. So, I challenge everyone to make sure that your physical heart is in good shape – live healthy and see your doctor – and also make sure that your ‘personal heart’ is in good shape. There are no do-overs, so always make sure your heart is in the right place.”

Bruce’s Story

“I was dead for 67 minutes. It’s a miracle that I’m here today.” Those are the words of Bruce Richardson, who survived a cardiac arrest in July 2016 thanks to the quick actions of his friends and the first responders who refused to give up.

Bruce is flanked by his friends Jack and Doug, who started CPR on Bruce. Immediate CPR can double or triple survival from cardiac arrest.

It was an early summer morning, a typical Saturday. Bruce woke as usual for his men’s prayer group at his community church.

“I had no symptoms whatsoever that there was any problem or that I was about to experience a life-changing event. It was a completely normal morning; I felt fine,” he shared. “I was visiting with friends before class began. Then, I passed out. What happened next I know from what others have told me.”

Bruce’s friend, Jack, had learned how to perform CPR in the U.S. military, and he quickly began chest compressions. Another friend, Doug, dialed 9-1-1 and the operator walked him through compressions until first responders arrived. The quick actions of Jack, Doug, and the 9-1-1 operator unquestionably saved Bruce’s life.

Once the ambulance arrived, the paramedics tried five times to restart Bruce’s heart with an AED. By this time, Bruce had been without a heartbeat for more than 30 minutes, often when time of death is called. On the phone with an emergency room doctor, one of the paramedics was instructed to try two AEDs simultaneously—a practice supported by emerging research. It worked; Bruce’s heart began to beat again, though he would suffer a second arrest on the way to the hospital where he would undergo emergency surgery.

Incredibly, he awoke the next day and was able to communicate. Despite early fears that he would suffer brain damage, Bruce made a full recovery and left the hospital after a week.

Spreading the Word

Since Bruce’s cardiac arrest, he has since been able to resume a normal life… with some differences. He now is a passionate CPR advocate. His church – where he suffered the arrest – has purchased two AEDs and trained staff and congregants in how to use them. Bruce has shared his story in the news, and last year he was a guest speaker at the Association’s Indianapolis Heart & Stroke Ball to encourage people to spread the message of CPR.

Attending the 2017 Indianapolis Heart & Stroke Ball, where Bruce was a guest speaker.

Finally, Bruce shared his story in a video now being used to promote American Heart Association Hands-Only CPR kiosks installed around the country.


Interested in trying out a Hands-Only CPR kiosk? Visit our kiosk landing page for more information, or check out our CPR Anytime page for at-home training kit options.

2 thoughts on “A Survivor’s Message of Hope”

  1. This is an amazing story. Teaching our communities, church groups, clubs, schools and family, we will make a huge difference in saving lives. Our heart is an automatic pump and when it stops, by performing CPR we are manually pumping the heart. There is enough oxygen in our lungs to circulate it by doing hands only CPR because it only takes a little blood to keep our brain and heart cells alive. Our brain cells start dying in 10 seconds, therefore it is very important for CPR to be started as soon as possible.

    Thank you for sharing your personal story. God bless.

  2. Truly amazing tenacity on the part of the rescuers beginning with the veteran lay rescuer and the paramedics. Keep pumping and don’t give up. Switch as often as needed but keep pushing until a doctor says to stop. God bless you sir.

Comments are closed.